The Missouri Department of Transportation is developing a programmatic agreement for common concrete and steel bridges constructed before 1945 in order to streamline the Section 106 review process for bridges.
Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 requires agencies to take into account the effects of their undertakings on historic properties.
To aid in the process, MoDOT is asking the public to help identify bridges that are associated with historical events or people of importance to a community. Photographs of the bridges being studied as well as basic engineering information about each bridge, including its age, are available for public viewing. An on-line comment form can be completed for bridges identified by the public with space to submit reasons why the bridge is locally important.
Public input was requested by Feb. 15, 2017. The history and engineering of bridges identified will be studied and recommendations on eligibility will be made about the eligibility of each bridge for the National Register of Historic Places. The public will be able to see the results of the study on the website: http://www.modot.org/ehp/Pre1945Bridges.htm
The programmatic agreement will study more than 700 common concrete slab and beam bridges, steel girder bridges and 850 culverts. For National Register-eligible bridges that may be removed by a future project, preservation options and mitigation measures will be identified.
Bridges being studied in Daviess County include:
- K0170 1934 Route MO 13 S Intersected Hickory Creek (Steel) Span structural class: wide flange girders; span sub-type: steel rolled multi-beam; span type: simple span; total spans: four; material: steel.
- S0442 1932 Route MO 190 E Intersected Clear Creek (Concrete) Span structural class: deck girders; span sub type: concrete tee beam; span type: simple span; material: reinforced concrete.
Culverts being studied in Daviess County include:
- J0131 1930 Route US 69 S Intersected South Big Creek
- K0171 1934 Route MO 13 S Intersected Painter Creek
- K0183 1934 Private Bridge E Intersected Grand River
- S0441 1932 Route MO 190 E Hurricane Creek
- S0794 1933 Route K S Intersected Manuel Creek
- X0130 1941 Route B E Intersected Coon Creek Branch