The local post office was to change locations in June 1932 when it would move to the Bank of Gallatin building across the corner from it’s present site. The post office has been located at the northeast corner building for 20 years and is now owned presently by the Farm and Home Savings and Loan Association.
The Bank of Gallatin building will be divided with the west portion given to the bank and the east portion given to the post office. New entrances were to be provided for both the bank and the post office. The building would be equipped with vault space, a well lighted workroom and a most attractive lobby. The bank would also have ample quarters.
Building the new post offices was a two billion dollar unemployment relief program. Gallatin was awarded $55,000 for the construction of their post office. These new post offices were to be financed by the issuance of bonds which would be retired by a special gasoline tax of one-fourth of one cent.
5/9/32 No. 44 “Postoffice Soon To New Quarters”;
1932 “$55,000 Postoffice Bldg. Proposed For Gallatin”
— researched and presented by Wilbur Bush, Gallatin, MO