The original Methodist Church in Jameson was organized in 1866 and was known as the White Oak Church with services held in a schoolhouse.
The original Methodist Church in Jameson was organized in 1866 and was known as the White Oak Church with services held in a schoolhouse. In 1870, a new church building was completed and was located about one-half mile south of Jameson. In July 1874 it was destroyed by fire, which was thought to have been the work of an arsonist. In 1874 the principal members organized the Jameson Methodist Church and a new building was completed. It is this church building that is pictured above. This church building was home to the Jameson Methodist Church from 1874 to 1951. During Sunday morning services in 1951 a fire began in the furnace room and destroyed the building. Members then united with other churches in the area.
Jameson Christian Church organized on March 24, 1872 with 12 members. Its first building was dedicated in 1875 with a construction cost of $800. This was later sold to the town for use as an opera house. A new church was built across the street to the west in 1897. Electric lights were added in 1920. Remodeling occurred in 1952; a new addition was constructed in 1969 when a modern kitchen and classrooms were added. Stained-glass windows were installed in 1976. In 2021 worship services were held as called together by Pastor Kirk Pugsley at the Jameson Christian Church. (2012 photo)
The Jameson Baptist Church in 2012.
Members of the Jameson Christian Church (date unknown, courtesy Jimmy Barton)