Alta Vista is an unincorporated community which lies at the border between Daviess and DeKalb counties with MO-6 passing through its location, with Weatherby, MO, being two miles to the west. The community sits on a ridge above and east of Grindstone Creek. Alto Vista was laid out in 1865, and named for its lofty elevation. A post office called Alta Vista was established in 1865, and remained in operation until 1905.
Alta Vista once existed as a community on the west side of Daviess County, MO.
Alta Vista first became known in 1856 according to plans laid out by its first merchant, Martin D. Hines. On July 4, 1858, more than 2,000 people attended a barbecue where lots were sold at private sale. Businesses like this general store soon followed. Hines left Alta Vista in 1861, succeeded by John T. Wiglesworth who was later burned out. In 1882 J.W. Manring and brothers opened busienss, freighting goods from Cameron in 1885 when Weatherby was founded. Goods were then shipped by rail from St. Joseph to Weatherby, dooming Alta Vista’s future. This photo taken of a tin-type, courtesy Carl Manring of Gallatin.
Alta Vista Cemetery still active in the community