Photographs spanning decades showing Jackson Street, the north side of the Gallatin, MO, business square:
Businesses on the north side of the business square in Gallatin, MO, facing Jackson Street in 1918 are shown, from left to right, as follows: Oddfellows Bldg, then across Market Street to the Windsor Hotel on the corner, several undiscernible storefronts including a barber shop, and finally the bank at right.
This post card scene shows businesses on Jackson Street along the north side of the Gallatin business square. The card, produced by Ritchie Bros of Centralia, IL, is postmarked 1908.
A close examination reveals a few clues about businesses shown here on the north side of the Gallatin square although the date is unknown. At the far end of Jackson Street is Wilson’s Livery; J.E. Melborn Barber Shop is printed on the window awning to the left of the utility pole in foreground (note sidewalk barber pole); Quisenberry Dry Goods and Ladies Clothing occupies the corner building where an upstairs window is marked “Gillihan and Gillihan Attorneys and Abstract.”
Businesses on the north side of the Gallatin square facing Jackson Street, from left, included First National Bank, a title and abstract company, a tavern, and the Bank of Gallatin among others. Upstairs were rental apartments and the Sam Evans Law Office.
The north side of the Gallatin business square once looked like this. At the far left was White Auto Supply, then the First National Bank of Gallatin, a title company, Sears Catalog Store, a tavern, Snyder Quarries, and the Bank of Gallatin. (circa 1980)
This was the view in 1989 looking northwest from the rooftop of the Daviess County Courthouse. Terry Hamilton operated an automotive parts business (White Auto Supply) from the remodeled former Oddfellows Building located west across Market Street from First National Bank of Gallatin. The brick building north of the bank housed the real estate office of Jub Tomlinson.
Businesses on the north side of the business square in Gallatin, MO, facing Jackson Street are shown, from left to right, as follows: White Auto Supply, First National Bank of Gallatin, a title company, and the Bank of Gallatin. (circa 1989)
Buildings were demolished leaving First National Bank and the Bank of Gallatin as the only businesses facing Jackson Street on the north side of the Gallatin square. White Auto Supply, far left, operated in the remodeled former Oddfellows Lodge at Jackson and Market streets.