The Gallatin North Missourian was published from 1864 to 2021.
An annual subscription for the Gallatin North Missourian in 1887 cost $1.50. When the newspaper was discontinued on 2021, an annual in-county subscription cost $36.
The printing shop of the Gallatin North Missourian and Gallatin Democrat in May, 1908. Publisher Robert Ball is standing far right. The skylight and cellar door (lower right) makes this photo appear to have been taken from the back towards the storefront (from east, looking west) at 205 North Main Street. The public office then would have been on the other side of the doorway shown.
The evolution of newspapers serving Gallatin is captured in this photo. The Gallatin North Missourian (stone front, at right) operated in the bottom two floors of a 3-story building (top floor owned by Masonic Lodge). Printing presses owned by Lakeland Publications were located next door (first floor with remodeled white exterior). The 2-story portion once was home to the Gallatin Democrat, with publisher Scout Harrison living in the apartment. In the 1980s a corporation stock transfer was completed whereby ownership of Lakeland Publications and the Gallatin North Missourian went from Joseph and Katherine Snyder to Darryl and Elizabeth Wilkinson.
Publisher Joseph Snyder pauses at the GPC office after receiving the MPA Hall of Fame award. Notice the wall poster and FAX machine. When first available, Gallatin Publishing Company offered and promoted a fax service to the public charging a small transfer fee. Eventually fax machines became more commonplace and the community service was discontinued. GPC later introduced telephone access to the internet for Gallatin through equipment housed at GPC, equipment owned and operated by the St. Joseph News-Press.
Darryl and Elizabeth Wilkinson moved to Gallatin, MO, after working nearly two years managing the Grant City Times-Tribune. They purchased the Gallatin North Missourian and soon thereafter, Lakeland Publications, and raised their family of four children at Gallatin.
Early computers used in newspaper production were large Compugraphic 7200 units, two of which are shown here among layout banks. These units photographically produced text on film strips (like paper) which had to be chemically processed, then dried, and cut into galleys. Wax was applied on the back of the galleys (waxer shown in foreground) so as to position onto layout pages as creatively desired. The next step was converting layout pages into page film to be overlaid and expose chemically sensitized press plates. GPC employees, from left, were Cathy Jo Allen, Marsha Maxwell, Kay Woodruff, Judy Vyrostek, Georgia Maxwell, and Janet Frost. (circa 1984)
The News King press operated by Lakeland Publications, housed in the building adjoining Gallatin Publishing Company. Press operators Gerald Robison, Lee Roy Pryor and Junior Evans are shown.
A new vinyl siding exterior was completed in 2009 at Gallatin Publishing Company. The double doors at left led directly into the printing press; the next door opened to a staircase leading to an upstairs apartment. The right door opened into the publisher’s office. GPC’s public business office had the stone building exterior, shown at right. This is how the business looked before relocating to larger premises at 609B South Main Street.
In 2010 the Gallatin Publishing Company relocated to the middle portion of the former Lambert “Cap Factory” Building at 609B South Main. GPC rented space from Daviess County, extensively remodeling both interior and exterior. The building also housed the Daviess County Health Department (to the left, fronting Main Street) and storage for the Daviess County Sheriff’s Department (beginning with the second loading dock doorway, far right).