An authentic log house was moved from rural Daviess County in 1991 to display the lifestyle of early pioneers. The log cabin was discovered northwest of Gallatin, MO, on Route DD when landowners peeled off wood plank siding while intending to demolish the building.
The house was reassembled, log by log, with tools and techniques from the late 1800s. Using augers, pins, square nails and broad axes, members of the Gallatin Lions Club have preserved an important aspect of our early county history.
The cabin floor plan, with one room downstairs serving as living quarters and one room upstairs for sleeping, was common for settlers in this area. Furnishings are also typical of the pioneer era.
After an authentic pioneer log cabin was discovered beneath barn siding at a farm on Route DD northwest of Gallatin, members of the Gallatin Lions Club worked to relocate the log cabin to Lions Club Park along MO-13 in south Gallatin.
Logs were numbered, separated and transported for reassembly at the park in 2001.
Log cabins were commonly constructed in Daviess County from 1831 to 1850. By the mid-20th Century, many of these pioneer structures were preserved as landowners built barns around these log structures. This example was located near the enatrance to Adam-Ondi-Ahman at Jameson, the original home of Henry Mills (1839). Logs measured approximately 12 inches square, wedged securely at corners. The original cabin was 20’x19′ and 14 feet high on a rock foundation.
Members of the Gallatin Lions Club worked to relocate the log cabin to Lions Club Park along MO-13 in south Gallatin. Logs were numbered, separated and transported for reassembly at the park.
Lions Club member Dan Lockridge prepares a log as fellow club members look on.
Here a replacement log is prepared by Lions Club members Frank Tolen and Roger Vanatta.
Lions Club member Larry Belshe aligns a log into position.
Log cabins common in frontier days were cut so that beveled corners held logs tightly in place. Mud was commonly used for chinking; in this photo the chinking was cement used between logs at the authentic cabin relocated in Lions Club Park along Highway 13 in south Gallatin, MO.