In 1934 plans were being considered for the construction of an airport in Gallatin. The government’s allotment for the money under the Civil Works Administration (CWA) would pay for 80% of the labor costs and 20% of the cost of the materials. Materials included were: paint, boundary markers, fencing, seeding and miscellaneous.
The city had to either buy or lease ground for the airport. The plot of ground necessary for its construction were: two runways each having a width of 500 feet and a length of 3,000 feet. The mean slope of the land needed, wasn’t to exceed two percent. The field was to either be L-shaped or T-shaped.
Under the headline “Time Is Short For Getting Local Airport” published by a local newspaper, it was reported how one week early in July the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) boys were busy with projects which included working on the landing field in Alley bottom.
— researched and presented by Wilbur Bush of Gallatin, MO