The meeting to organize the YMCA in Gallatin was held in the Methodist Church on Jan. 16, 1887. In 1908, the urgent need of a permanent building was voiced. Through the donation of a lot by C.L. Knaur and money raised by popular subscriptions, a building was erected one block east of the business square at a cost of about $8,000.

This building was constructed in 1908 when Gallatin was the smallest town in the U.S. to have such a YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) building. It operated as such for nearly 20 years before its activities waned. Gallatin Mayor Henry J. Lynch led a civic effort to purchase (for a nominal fee) and convert the property into Gallatin City Hall by 1930. (1915 photo)

The stone-faced block building was completed in January, 1909 (the Masons were in charge of a cornerstone ceremony on Oct. 5, 1908). The building contained a combination gymnasium-auditorium, kitchen and dining room, a main room and a second floor library. A tennis court was built at the rear of the building.

The first full time secretary was Fred Vollmer. For many years Gallatin boasted the only YMCA with a full time, paid secretary in a town of 2,500 or less in the United States. When it was found that the town could no longer give the proper financial support to the yearly budget, the property was sold the city and the building was converted into the community’s city hall.

The legal description of this building is as follows: Block 3 West & 3 South, Original Town, E 1/2 of Lots 5 & 6.

— notes by Mrs. Earl Binney for a Historic Inventory prepared 10/26/67

This postcard scene shows the YMCA Building at 112 East Grand Street, Gallatin. The building later housed Gallatin City Hall with the garage area and basement housing Gallatin Police Department. (date unknown)