In 1873 the First Baptist Church in Gallatin, MO, was located one block north of the northwest corner of the Gallatin business square facing North Market Street.
On Nov. 18, 1870, Elders B.F. Kenney and P. McCollum met with scattered members of the congregation and, after a sermon by Elder McCollum, proceeded to reorganize. In May of 1872 another building committee was formed. Plans were drawn for a brick church building to be located one block north of the northwest corner of the Gallatin business square facing North Market Street. After a year of outdoor meetings and meetings in log cabins, construction of the church began in the fall of 1873. In August, 1875, the name of the church was changed from the First Baptist Church of Gallatin to the Kenney Chapel Baptist Church in honor of a former pastor. The church was connected with the West Fork Association and, at that time, had 80 members. The pastor shown (inset) is Bro. P.T. Harman who led the church (1904-1910) at the time this postcard was printed.
Construction of this church began in the fall of 1873.
This is the second building (1911-1973) for members of the First Baptist Church in Gallatin, MO. It was located at the corner of South Market and West Johnson Streets. This side of the building faces West Johnson Street. (circa 1960)
This 1921 postcard scene depicts the First Baptist Gallatin Church, located south of the town square, on the corner of West Johnson and South Market Streets.
Members of the First Baptist Gallatin Church is when the congregation met at the church building at the corner of South Market and West Johnson Streets. (date unknown)
The church family at First Baptist Gallatin posed for this photograph taken in 1955. It was located at the corner of South Market and West Johnson Streets.
The home of Southern Baptists in Gallatin, MO, was this building completed in 1910, located south of the business square. This building was in use by the congregation until 1973, then sat vacant before its brief use in private commercial ventures until its demolition.
After four decades of use, The building housing Gallatin First Baptist Church built in 1910 was essentially condemned. After moving into a new church dedicated on Aug. 12, 1973, the old church building was vacant and then briefly used for commercial ventures before the building was demolished.
1972 Groundbreaking Ceremony — First Baptist Gallatin Building Finance Committee chairman Doyle Briner and Building Committee Chairman G.B. Whitsitt Jr., take the first shovel as others watch, standing from left, Lavern Gutshall, Robert Paul, Carroll Parks, Bro. Charles Sexton, N.C. Bennett, and Joe Froman.
Groundbreaking Ceremonies for the 1972 construction of First Baptist Gallatin’s third church building included the Rev. Owen Moody (second from left). The church is located at 511 West Richardson Street in Gallatin. MO.
First Baptist Gallatin’s third church building was dedicated on Aug. 12, 1973, while the Rev. Charles Sexton was serving as pastor. The new church’s exterior featured Indiana Bedford limestone and wood trim. Arched ceiling rises to a height of 32 feet, enclosed with a heavy glass bubble to provide for natural lighting. The sanctuary is designed with a tall, narrow stained glass window featuring symbols depicting the 100th Psalm. Seating capacity was 256 with space for a choir of 24 and a fellowship hall to accommodate another 224. Two stain windows were removed from the old church building and relocated, one in the new church vestibule and the other in the fellowship hall. Total cost for the entire structure, including furnishings, was approximately $185,000.
A new parsonage was constructed in 1978 by Gallatin First Baptist Church, located at 802 West Ogden Street. (1978 photo)
In 2021 worship services each Sunday morning and evening were held at Gallatin First Baptist Church, led by the Rev. Daniel Pelichowski. Youth ministries are led by Bro. Wood Marshall. The church is located at 511 W. Richardson Street. (photo circa 1990)