Century Farms in Daviess County

The Missouri Century Farm program began in 1976, as part of a bicentennial project. Over the years it has expanded greatly, and there are now in excess of 9,400 Century Farms recognized in Missouri.
There are 75 Daviess County farms listed in the Missouri Century
Farm database as of September, 2016 (celebrated at the Daviess County Chautauqua in Gallatin).

To qualify, farms must meet the following guidelines. The same family must have owned the farm for 100 consecutive years. The line of ownership from the original settler or buyer may be through children, grandchildren, siblings, and nephews or nieces, including through marriage or adoption. The farm must be at least 40 acres of the original land acquisition and make a financial contribution to the overall farm income.

The oldest farm listed was acquired in 1838, which means it has been in the family for 178 years: Dean H. Leopard and Luzelle Leopard. No original owner is listed.

Three farms are listed from 1839: Bobby and Ginger Harlow and Jean Harlow, 160 acres; Paula Jarrett Christensen and Sandra Jarrett Whitman and B. Jan Jarrett Daly, original owner Andrew Jarrett, great-great-grandfather, 523 acres; Stephen C. Reed and Shelley S. Reed, original owner Samuel Hershberger, great-great-great-great-grandfather of Stephen Charles Reed, 40 acres.

Most recently added Century farm (3/8/2016): Mildred McDaniel, original owner James Russell McDaniel, great-great-grandfather of Garold McDaniel (Mildred’s deceased husband). Many farms don’t have the acreage listed, but of the farms that do, the Paula Jarrett Christensen farm listed the most acres, 523. A farm must have 40 acres of the original land to qualify. Fourteen of the farms list 40 acres.

Daviess County Century Farms

The following lists Daviess County’s Century Farms showing recognition date, name, additional owners, original owners, acres, year of acquisition,
and some comments…

  • 1/1/1976 Charles & Lorie Booram 1855
  • 1/1/1976 Mr & Mrs Hobart Burrell 1872
  • 1/1/1976 Vernice McClung Bush Richard Bush 1854
  • 1/1/1976 Nancy Sue Everly Betty Louise Everly 1857
  • 1/1/1976 S.W. Foley 1840
  • 1/1/1976 Mr & Mrs George Hill 1855
  • 1/1/1976 Kenneth Lee 1865
  • 1/1/1976 Dean H. Leopard Luzelle Leopard 1838
  • 1/1/1976 Dwight W. McGarvin 1873
  • 1/1/1976 Mildred Moulin Marjorie and Neil Brown 1854
  • 1/1/1976 Ava J. Pugh 1843
  • 1/1/1976 Clifton Swaithes Margaret Cox Swaithes 1854
  • 1/1/1976 Walter B. Tibbles 1845
  • 1/1/1976 Mr & Mrs Ves J Ward 1857
  • 1/1/1976 James R. Woodward James R. Woodward Jr. 1865
  • 1/1/1986 Vernice McClung Bush
  • 1/1/1986 Robert L Eckelberry Ross L. Swofford
  • 1/1/1986 S. Wiley Foley
  • 1/1/1986 William F Hill
  • 1/1/1986 Edward Hockensmith, Jr
  • 1/1/1986 John K & Harriet Leopard Mary Alice and Deanc. McDonald 00
  • 1/1/1986 Oliver Franklin Miller 00
  • 1/1/1986 Charlene Hemry Potts Charles Hemry
  • 1/1/1986 Frank A. Woodruff M. Kay & Ivo Woodruff 78 1856
  • 1/1/1987 FrancesAudene Hill 1881
  • 1/1/1987 Florence Glaze Wells 1865
  • 1/1/1988 James F. and Daw Hoover 1860
  • 1/1/1988 Delbert R. Lowrey 1850
  • 1/1/1988 Austin and Ellen Miller 1857
  • 1/1/1988 W. Auldridge Morris 1846
  • 1/1/1988 Glen Osborn 1860
  • 1/1/1988 Mrs. Ves J. Ward 1857
  • 1/1/1991 Wanda C. McGill McGill Barbara J. Colby 225 1854
  • 1/1/1991 Lloyd G. and Nel Philips 80 1891
  • 1/1/1992 Billy F. Lierly 72 1855
  • 1/1/1992 Nita Noranne Searcy 65 1843
  • 1/1/1994 Bobby and Ginger Harlow Jean Harlow 160 1839
  • 1/1/1995 Harold and Ruth Lockridge 40 1840
  • 1/1/1995 Ava Jane Jarrett Pugh 240 1880
  • 1/1/1996 Carlotta R. Arnold 40 1894
  • 1/1/1997 Maurice and Dorothy Critten 160 1868
  • 1/1/1997 William T. Schapaugh 80 1890
  • 6/25/1999 Martha Mabe Paula Dennis PS(Jeff) McCue 80 1891
  • 6/22/2001 Ashley A Deskins Tamara S Deskins Kimbro Smith,grandfather 40 1896
  • 6/22/2001 Franklin L Dunnington Janis Kay Dunnington David W Vaughn, grandfather 145 1889
  • 5/24/2002 Paula Jarrett Christensen Sandra Jarrett Whitman, B Jan Jarrett Daly Andrew Jarrett, great-great-grandfather 523 1839
  • 7/5/2002 George H Olsen Dorothy L Olsen George A. and Alta Olsen, grandfather 60 1902
  • 7/9/2002 Alan Goodwin Linda Goodwin James Haver, great-great-
    great-grandfather (90acres), Othneil 135 1864 1886
  • Brumer, great-great-grandfather, 45A7/9/2002 Richard E.
    Heath William Heath, great-grandfather 40 1883
  • 6/23/2004 Keith C Harpster Dawn R Harpster Joseph Conrad, great-grandfather 160 1893
  • 6/9/2005 Richard G Carpenter Cheri L Carpenter; Richard G Carpenter, as Trustee for Carpenter Family Trust William H. Treon, great uncle 80 1873
  • 5/2/2008 Delbert Lowrey Lavena Lowrey William G. Lowery/ Great-grandfather 240 1849
  • 3/26/2009 Kenneth F. Dunnington Mary E. Dunnington James Franklin Dunnington /Grandfather 40 1875
  • 6/5/2009 Forrest Meadows, DBA, MF & C, Inc Oscar P. Meadows /Father 247 1909
  • 5/3/2010 Garry McFee Susan McFee Gerhard Harms, greatgreat-grandfather of Garry McFee 40 1909
  • 5/18/2010 Stephen C. Reed Shelley S. Reed Samuel Hershberger, great-great-great-greatgrandfather of Stephen Charles Reed 40 1839
  • 5/2/2011 Dixie L. Rogers Rogers Family Trust David N. Terry, great-grandfather 40 1856
  • 5/1/2012 Harold W. Gay Ann Gay, great-grandmother 40 1905
  • 5/16/2012 Steven G. Bohannon Elaine Bohannon Grig T. Bohannon, great-grandfather 160 1908
  • 2/18/2013 Charles Strong Denise Elaine Minnie O. Strong, 140 1910
  • David Strong grandmother 3/19/2013 Billy Keith Payne Brad & Brian Hendren, Julie Ann Bixler, Kirby Lowe Payne August Wood Marshall, great-grandfather 80 1869
  • 5/1/2013 Rodney Thane Knott Shirly Anne Knott Jospeh H. Knott, great-great-grandfather 80 1858
  • 2/1/2014 Phares L. Linville Joyce M. Linville Green L. Linville, great uncle 60 1908
  • 2/10/2014 Jim Linville Sharla Linville Lewis Linville, greatgreat-
    uncle 110 1851
  • 3/19/2014 Kenneth H. Mort Kathryn F. Stith Mort Sarah A. Stith, grandmother 42 1911
  • 4/18/2014 Phyllis McBride Joseph P. Caraway, great-grandfather 78 1843
  • 4/21/2014 Steven R. Schweizer Macon C. Schweizer Isaac M. Swofford, great-great-great-grandfather 40 1881
  • 3/31/2015 Julie Cox Boyd Harrison James W. Ward 80 1908
  • 4/24/2015 Billie Joe Ward Beverly A. Ward Joseph Vogel, grandfather of Billie Joe Ward 41 1882
  • 4/29/2015 Jayla Smith Issac S. Smith, great-uncle-in-law 40 1915
  • 5/4/2015 Janice Smith Rose George M. Smith, great-great-grandfather 40 1858
  • 5/5/2015 Mary Stigers-Roth Bill Roth John Andrew Stigers, great-grandfather 220 1865
  • 5/14/2015 Doyle C. Kime Naomi R. Kime; Doyle C. & Naomi R. Kime Trust Issac Chester Hill, great-grandfather 40 1906
  • 2/29/2016 John F. & Gann Benjamin F. Kissinger & 1911915
    Nancy J. Virgie F. Kissinger
  • 3/8/2016 Mildred McDaniel James Rusell McDaniel, greatgreat-
    grandfather of Garold McDaniel (Mildred’s deceased husband)

1973 Flood Waterlogs Pattonsburg

Daviess County is rebounding from the most severe flooding of the Grand River since the 1947 flood. Pattonsburg was hard hit this time with three-fourths of the community under water for about three days; farmers all along the river are suffering varying degrees of crop damage.

Accurate estimates of flood damage are hard to come by. Figures suppied by the ASC office to government officials indicate $3 to $4 million in crop damage and another million in damage to property, machinery, etc. But at least one bank official in the county said that, in his opinion, the total damage could approach $10 million or more.

This aerial photo was taken when flooding was near its crest with 9 uptown businesses and homes throughout Pattonsburg damaged by flood waters.

The American Red Cross made a tour of Pattonsburg and came up with 35 homes with major damage, 70 homes with lesser damage, and 14 mobile homes with major damage.

The crop damage is not confined only to those crops in the bottoms — but also to those crops on higher ground which were thoroughly soaked by the heavy rain which caused the flooding. The flooding resulted from heavy rain to the north wne west which descended on the county via Grand River, Grindstone, Sampson and Big Creek. The amount of rainfall above Daviess County varied from 4 to 6 inches on ground previously saturated from heavy rain.

A number of people were evacuated by boat while some merely walked through the water; in some areas of Pattonsburg the water rose to about four feet or higher. During the height of the flooding, the only entry into Pattonsburg was by boat or walking the railroad tracks. Hundreds of sightseers gathered.

A wide area of Northwest Missouri was declared a disaster area by Gov. Kit Bond and federal government designations are also anticipated.

At Gallatin, the water rose into the MFA and also into Froman Elevator areas east of the river for the first time since it was built. Water crept into the city’s sewage treatment plant settling basins. A sand plant and new ready-mix plant equipment were all under water.

The river’s crest nearly equaled the mark set in 1947 in some locations but fell short in others. It is believed this is due to the location of the tributaries which fed the flood, as well as the contour of the land which has drastically altered since 1947 by drainage projects and commercial uses.

At Jameson, the high water makres of prior floods in 1909 and 1947 were not approached — the level of the water at the Lewis Mill Bridge, for example, lacking 32 inches of hitting the 1947 mark.

Leland Stitt looks on the rising flood waters of the Grand River, standing on the Lewis Mill Bridge near Jameson. On the bridge beam, above the arm of Dale Alexander, is the high water mark of the 1909 flood; below his arm is the high water mark of the 1947 flood. The 1973 flood crest was approximately 32 inches lower than the 1909 mark.

The major flooding has left the county and areas from Livingston County south to the river’s mouth at flood stage. Fortunately, the rain to the south was not nearly as heavy as in the north — had it been, the losses would have been far worse. As it is, the Grand River was spread all over the bottom from Albany to Brunswick.

There are two ironies connected wit the flood. The first was that Congress approved an immediate start on the reservoir project on Friday, not being aware that a serious flood was in progress as they voted.

The second irony was that the S.O.S. organization, which had invited city people to come up Sundy for a tour of the area as part of their strategy to get public opinion against the reservoir, had to postpone the even because of flooding.

Congressman Jerry Litton has kept in close touch with the river situation, having suffered personal losses in the past floods himself. He flew over the flooded areas last weekend and had photos taken of the flood. He has requested President Nixon to declare the region a disaster area and provide federal disaster relief programs and benefits.

–taken from the Gallatin North Missourian Oct. 18, 1973

Unusual Weather, Flood Stages Recorded

The year of 1936 was remarkable for the grasshoppers eating all vegetation, including the bark off trees. The following year was also a “grasshopper” year. But 1937 is remembered for another weather-related hardship. Daviess County was covered with a heavy coat of ice for 5 consecutive weeks — the ice was 5 inches thick!

On May 3, 1943, it began raining and rainfall didn’t stop for three weeks. Water overflowed into the Grand River bottoms. By June 11, 1943, the river reached the 28-ft. flood stage. It rained on Easter Sunday (April 25, 1943) and rained on seven consecutive Sundays.

On Dec. 18, 1945, Daviess County endured a 9-inch snowfall with the temperature at 11 degrees below zero.

Snowfall on Dec. 23-24, 1958, measured 15 inches deep with temperatures at 22 degrees below zero.

July 1975 was the driest July since 1888, according to an article published in the Kansas City Times. Only .25 of an inch of rainfall was recorded at the weather station at Kansas City International Airport, breaking the prvious dry record of .36 of an inch set in July, 1936. Average precipitation for this month, according to the National Weather Service, is 4.37 inches.


The following flood stage measurements, spanning 42 years, were recorded by Mrs. Russ (Alma) Wilson for local records:

  • July 7, 1909 — 39.06 feet
  • July 2, 1915 — 36.06 feet
  • May 15, 1916 — 34.0 feet
  • May 28, 1917 — 36.0 feet
  • March 16, 1919 — 34.03 feet
  • April 11, 1919 — 25.0 feet
  • May 5, 1919 — 34.03 feet
  • June 5, 1919 — 34.03 feet
  • March 27, 1920 — 27.04 feet
  • July 12, 1922 — 36.05 feet
  • July 1, 1924 — 30.05 feet
  • Sept. 17, 1926 — 36.09 feet
  • Oct. 5, 1926 — 34.03 feet
  • April 21, 1927 — 33.0 feet
  • June 4, 1927 — 30.0 feet
  • June 19, 1928 — 29.07 feet
  • July 24, 1928 — 32.08 feet
  • Sept. 15, 1928 — 31.04 feet
  • Oct. 18, 1928 — 30.0 feet
  • Nov. 19, 1928 — 35.05 feet
  • April 4, 1929 — 33.06 feet
  • June 2, 1929 — 37.07 feet
  • July 7, 2919 — 33.07 feet
  • Nov. 16, 1931 — 29.03 feet
  • Nov. 25, 1931 — 33.0 feet
  • Jan. 2, 1932 — 32.0 feet
  • June, 1935 — over high bottoms
  • June 11, 1941 — 27.04 feet
  • June 22, 1942 — 31.05 feet
  • May 5, 1943 — over low bottoms
  • June 11, 1943 — 28.0 feet
  • April 24, 1944 — 31.05 feet
  • May 17, 1945 — 30.03 feet
  • April 26, 1945 — 28.06 feet
  • Jan. 8, 1946 — over low bottoms
  • June 8, 1947 — 33.03 feet
  • June 22, 1947 — 34.85 feet
  • July 7, 1951 — 28.0 feet
  • Oct. 13, 1973 — 32 feet

Daviess County Library Begins in 1947

The Daviess County Library was established as a county library by the voters in the spring of 1947. Miss Leona Funk was the first librarian followed by Mrs. Ross (Ina) Naylor, Betty Price, and then Jan Johnson (who retired in September, 2016, succeeded by Allison Spidle in October, 2016).

Prior to Jan’s promotion to the position of director, Jan had been a member of the staff and an active patron. In addition, Jan’s mother, Hazel Gibbens, was also on the staff and served as interim director.

At the time of Jan’s appointment to director in 1979, the library had already moved from its original location in the Van Dyke Building on North Main Street to the historic, Victorian two-story home at 215 North Main.

“The old building did not comply with the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act,” Jan said. “Even after building a ramp, the building was crowded and spacing was a problem. It was like overnight the building was no longer adequate for a library.”

Jan remembers that the first half of the 1990s was a period of major changes. In 1992, county residents were asked to vote an increase in the tax levy. “That was something I lost sleep over,” said Jan. But the voters came through, and the tax levy went from 10 to 20 cents per $100 of the assessed value.

In 1993, the Pattonsburg branch, which opened in 1952, was closed due to the 100 Year Flood….”Seeing the pictures of all the books underwater, it was hard to take.”

Daviess County Library, housed in the 1900 Queen Anne style residence on N. Main Street, Gallatin

In December, 1995, the county library relocated to 306 West Grand, Gallatin. The building which previously housed a car dealership, was purchased using a matching federal grant $131,500 for a total of $263,000. It was the last year federal funds would be available for any type of library construction or renovation. The staff moved 30,000 books, five years of 40 magazine subscriptions, videos, cassettes, shelves, cabinets, microfilm paperbacks, computers and numerous heavy items (an atlas stand weighed 150 pounds!).

“Using federal funds, which were later audited, and working with architects and contractors was not part of most librarian’s job descriptions,” Jan said. “Many decisions made during the building process were a learning process for me.”

Board President Daren Adkins said he admired Jan’s calm and poise as she kept the library fully functioning and open to the public through its move in 1995 and its many other renovations in the years to follow.

“She spearheaded the move in 1995 and that was a big job,” he said. “Through the years, she has led the process of digitilization and electronics and she has been instrumental in writing numerous grants that allowed many new programs and services.”


In December of 1995, the lower level community room was renovated through a gift of $100,000 from Farmers Bank of Northern Missouri, formerly First National Bank of Gallatin.

In April of 2014 a new reading area opened. This donation was in memory of Lloyd and Helen Weldon and their family. After Lloyd’s death Helen remarried and was later known to many as Helen Burge. The 15 foot by 45 foot reading area is located in the north end of the library. New furnishings included comfortable egg chairs, sofas, conference table and chairs. Custom made bookcases now divide the area into three sections. Modern lighting and wall art complete the contemporary look.


Since 1995 the library was also able to make several exterior improvements, including a new roof, a synthetic stucco finish, metal coping on parapet walls, metal canopies over main and community room entrances, and larger, bolder signage on east side of building.

The community parking areas were paved; automatic door openers were installed; the southern library boundaries were expanded and fenced, and several areas were landscaped.

Gifts and donations which helped make the renovations possible included a contribution from the Franklin Wilder Estate of around $45,000 in 2005, and a $20,000 gift from BTC bank in 2008.


The Daviess County Library is modern inside and out – and it features a lot more that just books.

Today the library offers special areas and services to meet the desires of all users: children’s castle, children’s computer area, teen section, public computers, hi-speed wireless Internet, computer lab, digital format in the genealogy department, gaming programs, electronic books, to name a few.

The Daviess County Library accepts as its basic objectives the provision and servicing of selected books and other materials which aid the individual in the pursuit of education, information or research, and in the creative use of leisure time.

“Updates and improvements are vital,” said Jan. “But it’s equally important for the staff to maintain a personal, friendly relationship with our library patrons.”

East side main entrance (under doorway canopy at left) into the Daviess County Library (2017)
Community Center entrance on west side of Daviess County Library (2017)

Many other fine features and furnishings in the library today would not have been possible if not for the donations and efforts of individuals, groups, and businesses.

  • April 16, 2014 New Reading Area in Library Set to Open. This donation is in memory of Lloyd and Helen Weldon and their family. After Lloyd’s death Helen remarried and was later known to many as Helen Burge.
  • Nov. 8, 2013  iPad the Fad at County Library
  • Aug. 2, 2013 A new bench is ready for outside seating. Greg Houghton designed, built, and set this bench in memory of his mother, Nancy Houghton, who was an avid reader and supporter of the library.
  • April 2013 Through a gift from the Lake Viking Homemakers, the Daviess County Library has purchased a digital image converter that converts old slides.
  • April 2013 Secretary of State Jason Kander announced the Daviess County Library received a Nonfiction Collection Makeover Grant in the amount of $4,000.
  • February 2013 Secretary of State Jason Kander announced Daviess County Library received service and programming funds in the amount of $10,699.43.
  • October 2012 E-Readers available for check out at Library.
  • August 2012 Jone Perry retired after 23 years.
  • July 2012 Missouri Secretary of State Robin Carnahan has announced the Daviess County Library received an eReader Exploration Grant in the amount of $1,580.
  • June 2012 Missouri Secretary of State Robin Carnahan recently announced the Daviess County Library received a Website Makeover Grant totaling $4,707.
  • April 2012 Missouri Secretary of State Robin Carnahan recently announced the Daviess County Library received a Targeted Collection Development Grant in the amount of $1,200.
  • November 2011 Daviess County library offering online classes.
  • July 2011 Low vision aids available at the county library.
  • May 2011 Anita J. (Janie) Dunning, Missouri USDA Rural Development State Director, announced funding of $15,750 to the Daviess County Library to install a new roof on the library.
  • November 2010 The Daviess County Library 2010 book budget was increased by almost 33% through a Missouri State Targeted Collection Grant.
  • June 2010 County library receives grant for 11 new computers The total grant amount was $9,900.
  • Oct. 2009 Daviess County Library is now a wi-fi hotspot
  • Aug. 2009 Mary Jo Pittsenbarger uses her artistic skills to paint the book-shaped pillars at the Daviess County Library.
  • July 2009 Daviess County Library receives over $5,000 from Gates Foundation
  • May 2009 The Daviess County Library has received a Missouri State Library Technology Mini Grant in the amount of $5,241.
  • October 2008 BTC Bank recently presented $20,000 to the Daviess County Library to be used toward exterior renovation of the library.
  • February 2007 The Daviess County Library received notification from the State Library and the Secretary of State’s office that it had been approved for an LSTA Teen Space program grant of $9,000.
  • May 2006 The Daviess County Library and the Gallatin First Christian Church are recipients of a very generous donation from the estate of the late Franklin Wilder. The library and church each received $25,000 about halfway through the probate proceedings from the sell of real estate. Both distributees have $19,919 still coming along with four gas wells which have been inventoried
  • May 18, 2005 Retirement reception for Jean Fales
  • December 2004 Gallatin DAR presents flag to library
  • September 2004 Improvements underway at library, new sign will be added
  • May 2004 Daviess County Library receives grant to host fair for senior citizens The library has received a $1,240 Federal IMLA/LSTA grant
  • January 2003 Computer classes offered at public library
  • February 2002 Raffle winners donate Big Screen for public use at county library Access II fund raiser helps make everyone a winner!
  • October 2001 County library receives $44,620 grant Secretary of State Matt Blunt in partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s U.S. Library Program announces grants totaling $44,620 for the Daviess County Library System for computer hardware, software, training, and technical support. The library will receive a cash grant for computers, a laser printer, and wiring costs.
  • March 2001 The Daviess County Library was awarded a $6,517 grant from the Missouri State Library to purchase two new computers.
  • March 2001 The Verda Clements Memorial Fund has placed a piano in the Daviess County Community Room.
  • August 2000 Improvements at the Daviess County Library in Gallatin are being funded by Public Library Equalization funding received locally for the second consecutive year. County Librarian Jan Johnson says over $17,000 received here financed book purchases boosting the young adult book series, the audio book department and computer technology at Gallatin and at the Jamesport branch.
  • July 2000 Helen Muller caps 24 years serving on the library board
  • June 1999 A new parking lot is completed and other exterior remodeling projects are in progress this summer at the Daviess County Library in Galatin. A fund raising drive in support of the project is still in progress. The project is estimated at $37,500. Fund raising efforts have thus far raised $28,400. The library is still accepting donations and the library staff hopes the work can be done completely with contributions. Those donating $25 or more will receive a canvas book bag with the library logo printed on the front. Present donations have ranged from $1.00 to $1,000.00.
  • December 1995 The library relocated in the building at 306 West Grand, Gallatin in 1995, using a matching federal grant ($131,500) for a total of $263,000, which was the last year that federal funds have been available for any type of library construction or renovation.
  • December 1995 The lower level community room was renovated through gift of $100,000 from Farmers Bank of Northern Missouri, formerly First National Bank of Gallatin.

The First Longwood Furnace Plant

The Longwood Automatic Stove Company is now in production in its new building and owner Wayne Critten expects to complete and install at least 200 units before the 1958 heating season is over.

This was the first facility housing the production of Longwood Furnaces, located on the Critten farm in 1958.

1958 — The Longwood Automatic Stove Company is now in production in its new building and owner Wayne Critten expects to complete and install at least 200 units before the 1958 heating season is over.

In an article published on Oct. 16, 1958, by the Gallatin Democrat, Critten admits that he is just “coasting” this year as far as production is concerned. But another few months should see his dealer organization developed and his patented wood burning stove moving out of the plant on an assembly line basis.

The new 85’x138′ factory building is located on the Critten farm about five miles east of Gallatin. It was built by Critten and his workmen over the summer and has thick concrete walls and an aluminum sheathed roof with color plastic skylights. The building contains floor space for machinery required to handle the big slabs of sheet steel and aluminum plus stalls for trucks and a sizeable area for future office space. The first delivery truck has been purchased and is being painted for use.

Critten, who conceived the idea for his stove as the result of seeing so much timber go to waste on the farm, is now bjuilding three models. He has a new 3-foot model in production this year which is receiving wide acceptance. He also makes a 5-foot built-in unit and a 5-foot basement unit.

Quite a number of the stoves have been in use in the area the past several seasons and all are establishing almost unbelievable results. The stoves, which are thermostatically controlled, operate without a blower.

— from an article published in the Oct. 16, 1958, edition of the Gallatin Democrat