In 1927, Woodruff’s Ice Cream reported a volume of business so great that they couldn’t meet the demand for their ice cream. That year they exceeded their expectations by retailing 20,000 gallons of ice cream. To accommodate their increasing business, the ice cream plant was moved to a new location on North Main Street. The location was known as the McClasky Building which previously housed a Chevrolet dealership.
Small rooms ran down both sides of the former garage about half the length of the building. Some were used for company offices. The remainder were used for living quarters. The machinery was located at the back of the building.
On May 3, 1928, the Gallatin North Missourian quoted Mr. Woodruff as saying, We started out with four walls and now have a place that is the last word of factories of this kind.
The first freeze in the new location was approximately 600 gallons of ice cream. One of the main features of the plant was the storage or refrigerator room which had a capacity for holding several thousand gallons of ice cream. They expected to make 500 or 600 gallons of ice cream per day during the rush part of the season and had the potential to make 800 gallons a day.
During the peak season the company would employ five or six men.
The business was among the first ice cream manufacturers to package in sealright round pint and quart containers. A mix was made six days a week and each was frozen the next day. Ice cream was made into retail size containers, five gallon cans used for cone dipping, and ice cream bars.
To make bars, trays were filled and sticks inserted through a rack. The next day, the bars were cut, chocolate coated, individually sacked, and packed a dozen to a bag.
The business closed in 1975.