The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) boys played no small part in Daviess County. They seemed to have “a finger in every pie.” With their help and with the help of many others, Gallatin had a new ball diamond.

These boys were aided with help from local relief workers, and funds from the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Emergency Relief Administration (ERA). It was estimated the construction would take approximately one month.

The new diamond would replace the one at the old West End Park, and would be located at the north end of Dockery Park. The new diamond was to be 100 yards in length and 80 yards in width.

Up to this time, Gallatin had two teams: one for white boys and another called the “Colored Nine.” A third team made of CCC boys was started.

— researched and presented by Wilbur Bush, Gallatin, MO

Baseball ruled as the national pasttime for decades in America, largely due to local teams playing the game for hometown pride and fun. Baseball games were moved from the west side of Gallatin to Dockery Park upon completion of a 80×100 yard diamond in 1934. The playing field was completed with the aid of CWA and ERA funds, local relief workers, and the boys of the CCC camp. Ground rules applied during early games played here due to the sloping terrace at the edge of the outfield. At that time, Gallatin had two teams: “…the white boys and the colored nine.” This Gallatin team photo taken at Dockery Park is shared by Kenneth Tomlinson (date unknown).

This baseball game unfolded at Dockery Park in Gallatin, MO, with the grandstand behind home plate and a storage building along the third base line. (date unknown)