Yesteryear Scenes at Coffey in Daviess County, MO:

Members of the Coffey Oddfellows Lodge IOOF (circa 1908-11) met in the upstairs east room of the 2-story brick building formerly standing in Coffey’s park. Shown, front row from left, are Phillip Butcher, Harry Holcomb, Henry Miller, James Everly, Russell Stewart, Ray Barton, Omer Young, Everett Myers, and Wm. Underwood; 2nd row — John Carter, Jim Reed, John Porter, S.N. Parrett, Ira Day, Bud Carter, Wm. McCoy, Nathan Razy, John Stitt, Wm. Vandivort, Jack Hedrick; 3rd row — Ed Rickets, henry House, Henry Courter, Otis Ballard, Frank Read, J.B. Everly, Dr. Girard, Burch Weldon, Levi O’Hare, Guy Welden, Sam Bennum, F.D. Read; 4th row — Roy Garton, Tom O’Hare, Chas. Timmons, Tom Carter, Edwin House, J.L. Davisson, Henry Mullenax, Riley Wetzel, Alonzo Dugger, Curt Bennum, Lincoln Binney; 5th row — Oliver Farber, Dr. Foster, Sam Myers, J.L. Cunningham, Mort Smith, M.O. Glaze, John Bales, Merideth Hathaway, Jesse McCoy, Wm. Githens, Geo. Iddings, Arthur Mason, Lweis Smith. (courtesy Richard Porter)

The Thompson Blacksmith Shop operated in 1910 in Coffey, MO. The business was located north of the city park. Henry Monroe Rector Thompson built a new house next to this shop in 1918. Lewis Paul Thompson, son of Henry Thompson, also operated the shop (courtesy Tommy Thompson, Pattonsburg)

Moving was a progression of effort as people strived to better themselves and their families. Here a family from Coffey, MO, embarks to go to Kansas. (date unknown)

John Miller Barber Shop operated in Coffey, MO, in 1913. Shown are barber John Miller with Reed Netherton (in chair), then from left: Charlie “Fuzz” Harrington, Earl Porter, Everett Ford, O.E. Harbord, and Roscoe Courter. (courtesy Richard Porter)

 

The Bank of Coffey was in business for 102 years. When the bank officially closed on Oct. 30, 1999, its last transaction was made by Glenn Knott, withdrawing $102 representing the years of service the bank provided to the town. Eighty-two years before, Mr. Knott had the first transaction when the bank was moved to Coffey’s Main Street and was renamed the Bank of Coffey from The Farmers Bank. Mr. Knott was eight years old and registered the first transaction at the Bank of Coffey, depositing $40 after selling his red Duroc pig, given to him by his uncle. The Bank of Coffey moved to Pattonsburg in 1999, renamed the Guaranty Bank & Trust. (1916 photo)

This Ferris Wheel was a popular attraction during the 1924 Coffeyburg Colt Show. (courtesy Leta Wade)

Coffey, MO (date unknown)

Garage owner Will Dowell stands in the doorway, talking to Mrs. C.W. O’Daniel as her boy approaches.

The first Handy Store was doing business in Coffey, MO, shown here in 1884.

The Handy General Merchandise Store doing business in Coffey, MO, was owned and operated by J.B. Handy who bought out his partner, J.R. Welden, after working together for two years. The 55-year success of this business rendered it as a landmark in Coffey, the oldest business in terms of one operator owner when Coffey celebrated its Centennial in 1956.