Shultz Studio and Other Residences

Efforts to catalog residences throughout Daviess County have been sporadic over the years. One grouping of eight Gallatin residences was published in the Daviess County Centennial Edition (September, 1937).

Many historical photographs were produced by the Shultz Studio in Gallatin.

Shultz Studio was prominent in recording Daviess County people and places for many decades. This photo was published in the Oct. 24, 1907, newspaper announcing the opening of the studio at the W.F. Shultz residence located at the corner of Jackson and Daviess Streets in Gallatin, MO (one block west of the square).

The following examples are photographs of farm homes and town residences archived by the Daviess County Historical Society:

This photo, taken about 1880, shows Mary Elizabeth McNeel Hill and Anna E. Hill Eads.
The Hugh Tarwater residence in Gallatin, MO. Schultz Studio, date unknown.

 

 

 

Eads Family Gathering (unknown)
Attorney Henry Clay McDougal’s residence while in Gallatin, MO, was located at Berry & Maple Streets. It was a 2-story brick home over a raised basement, which made the main entrance facing Maple Street elevated. This woodcut image was made by Martha P. Sellers.

During the late 1970s, an extensive study of communities throughout the region was done by Tom Carneal, longtime chairman of the History Department at Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville. His catalogs of residences and historical locations includes the following:

The Bob Barlow residence at 412 West South Street, Gallatin, on July 15, 1978.
William Coen Residence, 401 West South Street, Gallatin, on Nov. 27, 1978.
The Eddie Elbert residence at 201 East Grand Street, Gallatin. Photo taken Nov. 27, 1978.
In 1978 the A.T. Ray Home was owned by Stewart Marolf who operated Thompson Implement (John Deere) in Gallatin. This was prior to the house being named to the National Register of Historic Places under the original homeowner’s name, A.T. Ray.