Telephone Emerged in Daviess County in 1901

The Daviess County Telephone Company (DCTC) was originally incorporated Jan. 15, 1901, with 200 shares of common stock at $25 par value. An additional 400 shares at the same par value were authorized Jan. 7, 1913. Mr. Penn Love, phone #400 office and #240 residence, ran the DCTC and records of outside services contracted for by him from 1910-11. A city ordinance of Gallatin dated Feb. 6,1905, authorized a telephone system in Gallatin by this company.

The Daviess County Telephone Company (DCTC) was originally incorporated Jan. 15, 1901, with 200 shares of common stock at $25 par value. An additional 400 shares at the same par value were authorized Jan. 7, 1913. Mr. Penn Love, phone #400 office and #240 residence, ran the DCTC and records of outside services contracted for by him from 1910-11. A city ordinance of Gallatin dated Feb. 6,1905, authorized a telephone system in Gallatin by this company.

Gallatin had magneto (crank) phones until Dec. 29, 1956, when dial service was first installed. In 1905, crank phone service was $1 per month for residences and $1.60 per month for business wall phones. Desk phones were available for 25 cents per month. Gallatin was paid a franchise fee of $25 per year. In 1911 the business wall phone rate was increased to $2 per month.

Starting in 1916, officers of the DCTC were President Penn Love, Vice President Charles Hemry, and Secretary/Treasurer H.Y. Tarwater, phone #300 office nad #214 residence. In 1917 W.C. Gillihan, phone #64, replaced Mr. Hemry as vice president.

DCTC was reorganized Oct. 1, 1921, and E.O. Turner was president and general manager. Te other officers were from St. Louis and they included E.F. Carter, vice president; J.P. Crowley, secretary; and R.A. Nicherson, treasurer. This reorganized company was purchased by the Inter-County Telephone Company (ICTC) in 1927. The new general manager was Joe M. Roberts of Maysville, who moved his family to Gallatin in 1929. Mr. Roberts moved to Columbia in 1963 and was president of the company at that time. It was later renamed the Missouri Telephone Company.

In May, 1929, ICTC purchased the Gallatin Trust Company building for $7,000 from Chrles and Carrie Kanuer. ICTC owned several phone exchanges in and around Daviess County at that time and ran them from Gallatin.

In 1929 the phone rates were as follows: rural service $1 per month, rural busienss $2 per month, city business $3 per month, and $1 for additional extensions. The city one-party residence rate was $1.75 a month and 50 cents for an extension. The rural residence rate, one party, was $1.65 a month and a party line of five or more parties was 65 cents a month. The above charges were made once per year in March and had to be paid in advance.

Some interesting phone numbers for Gallatin from a 1904 phone book are: D.H. Davis and sons #3, Democrat office #10, county clerk’s office #30, J.W. Alexander #29, McClasky Barn #20, U.S. Express Company #207, J.H. Townsend #2, Wabash Depot #4, Wabash Hotel #236, Windson Hotel #11, Woodruff Hotel #72, Wes L. Robertson residence #0, Dr. C.O. Netherton #1, North Missourian #12.

There may also be interest in who didn’t have a phone number in this 1904 book. The city clerk had one (#206) but the city police and the county sheriff’s office did not. The Rock Island Depot had no phone and none were losted for the school, fire department, nor for the post office. Sheriff Robert McCray had a residence phone (#122).

Written by David Stark, Gallatin, published in March, 1994, in the Gallatin North Missourian; researched from information provided by the Missouri Telephone Association.