The Old Daviess County Farm

In 1943, the County Court purchased 120 acres west of Gallatin where the Lake Viking Health Care Center stands today. A modern structure was completed in 1944 and was occupied by the residents and the Boors. The County Farm that was vacated at that time was sold at the courthouse and was purchased by Mr. Boor as a private home. The County Court leased the new home to Mr. and Mrs. Boor as a private Boarding Home on March 1, 1949. This arrangement enabled the county to eliminate considerable expense as the residents began receiving old age assistance money through the welfare office to be applied on their keep.

In 1943, the County Court purchased 120 acres west of Gallatin where the Lake Viking Health Care Center stands today. A modern structure was completed in 1944 and was occupied by the residents and the Boors. The County Farm that was vacated at that time was sold at the courthouse and was purchased by Mr. Boor as a private home. The County Court leased the new home to Mr. and Mrs. Boor as a private Boarding Home on March 1, 1949. This arrangement enabled the county to eliminate considerable expense as the residents began receiving old age assistance money through the welfare office to be applied on their keep.

The Boors continued to operate the boarding home until March 1, 1952 and operated an additional three years from March 1, 1956 to April 1, 1959.

The following information concerning a Poor Farm that was serving the people at the time of the Great Depression was obtained both from an interview with Mrs. Croy, and an article written by Mrs. Croy and her sister:

Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Boor were appointed administrators of the Daviess County Farm from March 1, 1935 and operated it as a County Farm until March 1, 1949. They were paid a monthly wage for their services and were also furnished living expenses for their family. The average number of residents was from 16 to 18 and were cared for as a family as nearly as possible.

In their writing, Elsie wrote:

"The white, two-story home used for the County Farm was located five miles southwest of Gallatin and on a 100 acre tract of land. In addition to the administrator’s home, the residents were housed in three nearby houses."

(A picture of one of the three small houses is shown below)

A man and a wife lived in one of the three houses, a brother and a sister lived in one, and two men lived in the other.

Some of the home’s residents lived in the upstairs of the house. There was a large dining room off of the kitchen where meals were prepared, the laundry done, etc. The Boors did everything possible to make the people under their care seem like family members.

For those who were able, a type of treatment existed by providing the people an opportunity to care for horses, cows, and work in a large garden, etc.

Researched by Wilbur Bush