I’d like to share advice given by an Arapahoe county extension agent. The article dealt with 10 important rules for "farm relief" that could also apply to the farmers of Daviess County. They are:
1. Milk a few good cows; feed recommended rations.
2. Fatten one pig for every two adult members of the family; cure the meat properly.
3. Keep at least 100 good hen, correctly housed and fed.
4. Raise a good garden; water from windmill if possible.
5. Plant cash crops only, which show little or no surplus.
6. Grow all your livestock feed.
7. Butcher fat cows and steers, and share with neighbors.
8. Raise your own living; keep your roof tight.
9. Get down to earth and do the best you can today.
10. Drive a horse until you can afford to buy gasoline.
Researched by Wilbur Bush